Thursday, January 30, 2014

After a dry spell

I'm shocking myself by actually having something to share in the art arena.  Several weeks ago I went to an open studio at Torbay Bight Studio to work in encaustic.  I love the regulars who go to these events because they are friendly, funny and always up to something interesting.  I am still in my white stage (What if) which I  wrote about  last year.  I'll be in it for quite awhile if I don't get back to creating!

My What if series explores how ideas can be represented when colour and contrast are  removed  from the equation.  These new works are abstracted landscapes that rely mostly on texture to make their presence know.  The silvery sheen was created by rubbing  pearl pigment stick over the encaustic.  It shimmers like a pristine landscape in the winter sun.


 Landscape 1 (2014) mixed media encaustic , 6 x 6 in.

 Landscape 2 (2014) mixed media encaustic , 6 x 6 in.

 I see so many references to my summer life by the edge of the Atlantic ocean in a small fishing community in Newfoundland.  I never planned these at all.  They were spontaneous responses to a pile of materials I had with me.
 One of these days I will figure out how to actually photograph encaustic work.  These are looking so pinkish and they are actually white.

2 comments:

Gina Cuff said...

Lovely, lovely texture. Brilliant, Margaret!

M said...

Thanks Gina. There are 8 more in this series. Stay tuned.